10 Fun and Random Things About Me
1. My wife and I love hosting, especially having friends over for dinner. (For me, one of the definitions of living an abundant life is having leisurely meals with friends.)
2. I enjoy building things, from home construction to picture framing. My dad was a carpenter and taught me most everything I know.
3. I love exploring and driving on roads that I’ve never been on before.
4. We have a dog named “Jack”. She (yes, Jack is a girl) is ridiculously smart and knows tons of tricks. Thanks to my kids, Jack is possibly the most photographed dog ever.
5. My great (x8) grandfather Henry McElhaney immigrated from Ireland to the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia in 1708.
6. My favorite artists of the past are John Singer Sargent, Joaquin Sorolla and Anders Zorn. Here are their self portraits, respectively.
7. My favorite contemporary artists are Jennifer McChristian, Scott Christensen, Terry Miura, Drew Struzan, James Gurney… Actually, there are many more amazing artists that inspire me. Check out my Pin Board of Art I Love on Pinterest.
8. I went to Cold Spring School K – 6th grade. 35 years later, I’m still in touch with most of my classmates on Facebook. (How cool is that!)
10. Once served Gene Hackman when I was a waiter at the Harbor Restaurant in Santa Barbara, CA.
I’ve said before that I am probably the luckiest guy you’ll ever meet. Here’s why: I love my life, i enjoy my work, and I absolutely adore my family.
I’m surprised that some people have the impression that I’m kind of serious. I suppose that I do work hard and have an intensity to my artwork. However, I try never to take myself too seriously. And my family has a way of keeping me grounded while making life rich and meaningful. As you can see, we have a good time. We laugh a lot together.
Get My 2017 Catalog of Artwork
For your viewing pleasure…
Filled with original drawings and paintings by American artist Brennen McElhaney.